The Prophet Agabus
Acts 20 : 10. “And as we tarried there many days , there came down from Judea a certain prophet , named Agabus.”
1). Here was a prophet, doing a little fore telling that nobody wanted to hear about.
2)Acts 21:11 “And when he was come unto us, he took Paul’s girdles, and bound his own hands and feet, and said , Thus saith the Holy Ghost, so shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owns this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.”
Thus saith the Holy Ghost.
Informing all within the range of his voice that sure and certain things would be brought to pass.
3) Here, look at what I’m doing. Bound his own hands and feet.
See, this is what they shall do!
4)Acts 21:12. “And when we heard these things, both we and they of that place besought him (Paul) not to go up to Jerusalem.”
Isn’t this just the way we are, all wrapped up in the realm of time?
Not looking to Eternity or even to what the LORD would require; But to what they feared, Or Wanted?
5)Acts 21:13-14 “Then Paul answered , What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? For I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus. And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased , saying , The will of the Lord be done.”
The will of the Lord be done…..this was Paul’s main reason for his existence.
6) But how long does it take us, before we come around to “ceasing” our own arguments, or tears, Or fears…about a thing?
7)Agabus spoke by the Holy Ghost his message of warning. Not to dissuade “the man”, But to inform and prepare.
8) Acts11:28-29 ” And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar. Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judea:”
Both mentions of this man have him foretelling events that must come to pass.
This time it was in order that relief might be sent to the Home Church in Judea.
9) If we will hear the Holy Spirit’s warnings , whether through His Word in Scripture, a message, or conversation with other believers.
The Holy Spirit will warn us of things to come up in our experience,
John 16:13 ” Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear , that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.”
Paul was warned…he took notice of, wanting the Lord’s Will done, and was prepared.
The Church was warned…took notice of and sent relief to the Church in Judea.
10) When we are given warning, or exhortation, or instruction; we should take notice and get prepared….
That we might , as Paul, ” for I am ready(for what will happen)…for the name of the Lord Jesus”